Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence
Position: Community-Based Intake Generalist
Location: Philadelphia, PA (currently remote)
Job Status: Full-time, non-exempt
Reports To: Manager, Community-Based Enrollment & Match
Effective Date: 3.29.2021
JOIN A FORWARD-THINKING AGENCY THAT SEEKS TO ENSURE THAT ALL YOUTH ACHIEVE THEIR FULL POTENTIAL. Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence (BBBSI) is the largest BBBS agency in the state and fourth largest in the nation. Our mission is to ignite the power and promise of youth and close the mentoring gap, by creating and supporting one-to-one mentoring relationships and strengthening the quality of the mentoring field.
Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence (BBBSI), seeks an Intake Generalist, tasked with tasked with effectively performing customer relations and administrative functions to the adult volunteer mentors (“Bigs”), youth mentees (“Littles”) and parents/guardians that we serve throughout the intake process. Typically, the position is based in an office environment. Occasional evening or weekend work may be necessary. This will be discussed further in the interview process.
Volunteer & Client Inquiry
- Working closely with the Customer Relations team, manages the intake of Community Based Clients and Volunteers from our recruitment team, website and phone calls.
- Quickly and efficiently responds to volunteer and parent/guardian inquiries regarding enrollment and the status of interviews.
- Responds to general volunteer inquiries and positively represents BBBSI and our programs to all those who contact us.
- Communicates with the youth waitlist and assists with properly selecting clients to be interviewed based on volunteer processing.
Scheduling and follow-up
- Obtains preliminary information and schedules/coordinates volunteer orientation scheduling.
- Works closely with Enrollment and Match Specialists to remind and follow-up with potential volunteers to ensure paperwork is completed, returned, background checks are submitted, and online trainings are completed in an appropriate amount of time.
Background Checks & References
- Through phone and email communications, assist with checking volunteer references.
- Assist with performing volunteer background checks and oversee the background check update process for all current Bigs.
- Presents individual and group orientation sessions, to explain the program in more detail and encourage potential volunteers to continue in the enrollment process.
Grants and other tasks
- Collaborates with other Enrollment and Match staff to ensure a smooth transition among functions.
- Applies child safety and risk management knowledge, policies and procedures to all aspects of job.
- Utilize all BBBSI online databases and computer programs to accurately record and update client and volunteer information.
Academic Requirements: Bachelor’s degree OR an Associate’s Degree and a minimum 4 years relevant experience OR no degree but a minimum of 8 years relevant experience OR within six months of Bachelor’s degree completion.
Professional Requirements: Experience in human services, with youth service organizations and socioeconomically diverse populations is preferred. Must possess the ability to effectively learn and utilize BBBSI’s internal database systems for tracking and recording information. Spanish-speaking skills are a plus.
Must demonstrate leadership, dedication, and an interpersonal savvy that helps establish effective relationships and an appropriate rapport with people; have attentive and active listening skills; take a sales/marketing approach to interaction with youth clients and volunteers; results/outcome oriented; take a collaborative approach to job duties and also able to operate independently; approachable, organized; and demonstrate sound judgment. Our best employees 1) set the bar high 2) are intentional and thoughtful about their choices 3) collaborate as a means to community solutions 4) are positive, can-do, and solution-oriented 5) embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion, and 6) are accountable and get it done.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing work in an office environment and include the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job: the ability to work independently; remain sedentary for extended periods of time (6+ hours per day); lift 10-15lbs; push, pull, bend kneel, as needed for normal operations. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted online at: http://bbbsi.gatherdocs.com/.
Note: only those applicants believed to be viable candidates for this opportunity will be contacted. No phone calls please.
WHO SHOULD APPLY
People with an interest in engaging individuals to support youth in the community, educators, social workers, youth workers, and recent graduates with a passion for working with youth/volunteers and a desire to work for a strong mission driven organization should apply. At BBBSI, we serve more than 2,100 children annually in Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties in Pennsylvania, and Burlington, Camden and Gloucester Counties in New Jersey.
Our aspiration is to develop an organization that reflects our constituent base. BBBSI promotes a culture of inclusion and seeks talented staff from diverse backgrounds. BBBSI is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status, first and second-generation immigrants, and people from low-income families, or any legally protected factor.
** This position is currently remote. Staff will be given a minimum of two (2) weeks advance notice before transition back to the office.