Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence
Position: Marketing & Communications Manager
Location: Philadelphia, PA
JOIN A FORWARD-THINKING ORGANIZATION THAT HAS BEEN PROVEN TO MAKE A POSITIVE IMPACT ON CHILDREN’S LIVES. Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence (BBBSI) is proud to have achieved a 4-star rating by Charity Navigator, their highest level of distinction. BBBSI is the largest BBBS agency in PA/NJ and fourth largest in the nation. Our mission is to create and support one-to-one mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth, while working collaboratively with corporations, government and community partners to strengthen the quality of the mentoring field and close the mentoring gap
Reporting to the Vice President of Marketing & Communications, the Marketing & Communications Manager will work closely with counterparts in Program, Advancement, and MENTOR Independence Region departments to accomplish agency marketing and communications goals and objectives. They will support the agency’s marketing efforts including content development, website and microsite development and maintenance, social media content, newsletter content development, and email campaign development and monitoring. Activities include, but are not limited to, planning and goal setting, search engine optimization, story collection and writing, copywriting, cultivation of donor leads, and volunteer recruitment. This position’s responsibilities will be heavily weighted toward the Agency’s Advancement (fundraising) efforts. In all relevant areas, the Manager will be expected to act proactively and critically, analyze, evaluate, and find innovative ways to improve processes and procedures.
Candidates with a strong connection to the community that BBBSI serves and the Southeastern Pennsylvania/Southern New Jersey area are given preferential consideration. Occasional travel to events is required, as is some night and weekend work.
Digital Campaigns and Content Management for Advancement (60%)
- Implement annual editorial calendar for agency social media channels (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Snapchat) and monitor for engagement activity - craft agency responses to follower questions/comments
- Oversee development of general and targeted email marketing campaigns and newsletters, including management of Campaign Monitor processes and templates
- Coordinate marketing activities through IndyForce customer relationship management system (CRM)
- Collaborate with Manager of Special Events and Manager of Brand Activation to develop communication plans for agency’s signature events.
- Collaborate with Director of Individual & Institutional Giving for all related marketing assets including website content, email communications, hard copy mailers, donor cultivation letters, Alumni newsletters, and social media posting
- Generate compelling stories from volunteers, parents, and children willing to speak, be profiled, or be quoted on the agency’s behalf.
- Manage and supervise interns and third-party providers developing digital campaign assets.
Website Development and Maintenance (20%)
- Manage strategy and content for BBBS Independence and MENTOR Independence websites, special event microsites and Eventbrite sites.
- Manage performance of websites and microsites including SEO optimization and Google analytics – review competitor and industry statistics for benchmarking and best practices
Print Collateral Development (15%)
- Write, manage and edit content for communication materials including newsletters, fact sheets, brochures and other marketing collateral
- Update all donor letter templates and acknowledgment communications, customizing content for different donor segments
- Develop agency corporate and donor pitch proposals
- Assist with development of talking points/speech writing for Agency Leadership Team, board members, and signature event speakers.
Public Relations and Media Outreach (5%)
- Support Vice President in the development of media-related publicity materials including public service announcements, news releases, video scripts, and press kits
- Monitor media hits, email campaigns, and social media channels for quarterly board reports
Academic: Minimum - Bachelor’s degree with concentration in Communications/Marketing/Digital Media
Professional: 3-5 years of business experience in a Marketing, Communications or Public Relations role required. Proven knowledge of digital and social media trends/best practices. Ability to work with many diverse constituencies. The successful candidate must be able to work independently, exercise sound judgment, anticipate and proactively troubleshoot and problem-solve issues related to their role. Additionally, they must have the ability to manage detailed work and projects, possess strong organizational and interpersonal skills. Prefer a candidate with excellent writing, proof-reading and demonstrated research skills. Proficiency in Microsoft Office and experience with donor CRM packages preferred (Salesforce a plus). Must have daily and dependable access to a car, valid driver's license, and meet State-required automobile insurance minimums.
Personal Attributes: Strong customer/client focus, strong communication and organizational skills, excellent listening and interpersonal skills. Open, approachable, and able to multi-task projects/assignments. Function well in a fast-paced environment, display a strong level of commitment and enthusiasm, demonstrate flexibility, and team player. Our best employees:
- Set the bar high
- Do the right thing
- Collaborate toward a common goal
- Are positive, can-do, and solution-oriented
- Are accountable and get it done
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted online at: http://bbbsi.gatherdocs.com/.
Note: only those applicants believed to be viable candidates for this opportunity will be contacted. No phone calls or 3rd party solicitation please.
BBBSI promotes a culture of inclusion and seeks talented staff from diverse backgrounds. BBBSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected factor.