Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence
Position: Team Leader, Community-Based Match Support
Location: Philadelphia, PA
AGENCY OVERVIEW & JOB DESCRIPTION
JOIN A FORWARD-THINKING AGENCY THAT SEEKS TO ENSURE THAT ALL YOUTH ACHIEVE THEIR FULL POTENTIAL. Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence (BBBSI) is the largest BBBS agency in the state and fourth largest in the nation. Our mission is to build and support one-to-one relationships that ignite the biggest possible futures for youth, and strengthen the youth mentoring field through evidence-based mentoring services, collaboration and advocacy. Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence (BBBSI), seeks a Team Leader, Community-Based Match Support. This role will directly supervise a team of 3-4 Community-based Match Support Specialists and will manage a smaller caseload directly. The ideal candidate will support the match support function via the successful coordination of a match support team’s activities, as well as effective performance of individual match support responsibilities, practices and goals This position requires some workday and weekend travel to BBBSI office locations and agency events within our 7-county service area in Southeastern PA (Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties) and Southern NJ (Burlington, Camden, and Gloucester Counties).
Leadership, Management, Accountability
- Supports the Community Based Match Support team to ensure a high level of quality performance and individual team members’ professional development.
- Works with the Sr. Manager, Community Based Programs to ensure that team members demonstrate high-level proficiency in, and application of child safety and risk management knowledge, policies and procedures throughout all aspects of job functions according to set standards of practice and agency policies while maintaining high metric performance.
- Hires Match Support staff and responsible for training, developing, supervising and evaluating those employees; provides the tools to train, develop, supervise and evaluate staff.
- Fosters a team culture of accountability, trust, professionalism and excellence.
Child Safety and Match Support
- Assists with Community Based Match Support oversite; ensures that all match meetings and support contacts are conducted according to all BBBS standards of practice.
- Utilizes a level of proficiency in applying child safety and risk management knowledge, policies and procedures throughout all aspects of the job; identifies potential child safety issues for volunteers, children and their families as soon as possible, making sound decisions as a result in consultation with the Sr. Manager, Community Based Programs.
- Works closely with Sr. Manager, Community Based Programs to continually seek to improve department functions and services and ensures that performance is directly in line with Agency goals and strategic initiatives.
- Ensures that potential problems and barriers to success are identified and addressed through process evaluation and collaboration with department leadership.
Caseload Support and Match Making
- Determines the elements of child safety, positive relationship and youth development indicators, and signs of a sense of affiliation with the Agency are present within the child/mentor match.
- Provides friendly, approachable customer service and represents the Agency and our mission in a professional and positive manner.
- Facilitates initial in-person meeting between Bigs, Littles and parent/guardians in client’s homes. Reviews ground rules and expectations in order to lay the foundation for a successful relationship.
- Effectively utilizes on-line database system for recording and reviewing all child/mentor match details.
Training and Team Development
- Coordinates daily processing functions for a team of Community Based Match Support Specialists; assists department leadership in team member performance review process; and acts as a peer leader for Specialists, upholding, by example, appropriate standards of practice and effective performance of functions and procedures.
Academic: Bachelor’s degree (social services or related field preferred) required.
Professional: 2+ years functional experience in a human services environment preferred; supervisory experience a plus. Experience working with both child and adult populations; specific assessment and relationship development experience, and an understanding of child development and family preferred. Proficiency in Microsoft Office packages required. Must have daily and dependable access to a car, valid driver's license, and meet State-required automobile insurance minimums.
Personal Attributes: Must demonstrate leadership, dedication, and an interpersonal savvy that helps establish effective relationships and an appropriate rapport with people; have attentive and active listening skills; take a sales/marketing approach to interaction with youth clients and volunteers; are results/outcome oriented; are approachable, organized; and demonstrate sound judgment in a leadership capacity. Our best employees 1) set the bar high 2) are intentional and thoughtful about their choices 3) collaborate as a means to community solutions 4) are positive, can-do, and solution-oriented 5) embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion, and 6) are accountable and get it done.
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted online at: http://bbbsi.gatherdocs.com/.
WHO SHOULD APPLY
At BBBSI, we serve more than 3,100 children annually in Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties in Pennsylvania, and Burlington, Camden and Gloucester Counties in New Jersey. Our aspiration is to develop an organization that reflects our constituent base. BBBSI promotes a culture of inclusion and seeks talented staff from diverse backgrounds. BBBSI is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status, first and second-generation immigrants, and people from low-income families, or any legally protected factor.