Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence
Position: Team Leader, School-Based Enrollment
Location: Philadelphia, Norristown or Cherry Hill, (currently remote, work-from-home)
Job Status: Full-time, non-exempt
Reports To: Manager, School-Based Intake
Effective Date: 3.29.2021
JOIN A FORWARD-THINKING AGENCY THAT SEEKS TO ENSURE THAT ALL YOUTH ACHIEVE THEIR FULL POTENTIAL. Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence (BBBSI) is the largest BBBS agency in the state and fourth largest in the nation. Our mission is to ignite the power and promise of youth and close the mentoring gap, by creating and supporting one-to-one mentoring relationships and strengthening the quality of the mentoring field.
Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence (BBBSI) seeks a Team Leader, School-Based Enrollment, tasked with supporting the intake function via the successful coordination of the School-Based Enrollment team’s activities, as well as effective performance of individual enrollment responsibilities, practices and goals that will allow the School-Based Team to make strong and healthy matches that produce positive program outcomes. This full-time position requires regional travel within the agency’s seven-county service area in Southeastern PA and Southern NJ, and some evening/weekend work with the majority of time spent during traditional work hours.
Leadership, Management, Accountability
- Maintains a caseload and coordinates daily processing functions for School-Based Enrollment Specialists and Assistants.
- Provides supervision to School-Based Enrollment Specialists and Assistants through thoughtful input and feedback on performance; and upholds, by example, appropriate standards of practice and effective performance of functions and procedures.
School-Based Process and Schedule Management
- Works with Manager, Intake and the School-Based team to set program and site goals, and evaluate progress to goals. Coordinates with Customer Relations team to ensure appropriate staffing and interviewing at on-site and off-site locations.
Volunteer Recruitment/Partnership Development and Support
- Works with Manager, Intake, to manage college and corporate volunteer partnerships to achieve recruitment goals alongside School-Based Program Coordinators (case managers) and the Advancement team. Maintains ongoing relationships with university and corporate liaisons to ensure consistent communication and positive relationships on behalf of the agency, with a focus on program needs, as well as, fund development needs.
- Recruits college and corporate volunteers by collaborating with corporate and college partners. Presents group volunteer information sessions, tables, and utilizes marketing campaigns to achieve recruitment goals.
- Uses proactive and creative problem-solving techniques to navigate and resolve difficult situations. Recruits volunteers from a variety of backgrounds to best support youth in achieving their full potential with a focus on recruiting volunteers who reflect the race and lived experiences of our client base.
Screening and Assessment
- Conducts volunteer interviews, assessments, and the completion of other enrollment process; maintains high proficiency at applying child safety and risk management knowledge, policies and procedures to all aspects of job. Fingerprints potential volunteers for FBI clearances during the day and during evening hours as scheduled. Volunteer orientations and interviews are often conducted at the college campuses and corporations of BBBSI partners.
- Reviews all enrollment information and assessments, always maintaining accurate records. Makes recommendations for each prospective volunteer’s participation in program based on all data, and effectively aligns volunteer interests and qualifications with service options of Agency.
- Assists School-Based team in pairing children and adult volunteers in 1:1 mentoring relationships “matches,” making recommendations to Program Coordinators for subsequent training and support needs, and collaborates with other service delivery staff to ensure a smooth transition among functions.
Academic Requirements: Bachelor’s degree OR an Associate’s Degree and a minimum 4 years relevant experience OR no degree, but a minimum of 8 years relevant experience OR within six months of Bachelor’s degree completion.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE: Minimum of 2 years functional experience in a human services environment with youth service organizations and socioeconomically diverse populations is preferred; supervisory experience a plus. Must be effective presenting in group environments (e.g., 5-30 people) both virtually and in-person. Must possess the ability to effectively utilize BBBSI’s internal database systems for tracking and recording information. Proficiency in Microsoft Office packages required.
Additional Requirements: Must have dependable and daily access to a car, valid driver's license, and meet State-required automobile insurance minimums.
Must demonstrate leadership, dedication, and an interpersonal savvy that helps establish effective relationships and an appropriate rapport with people; have attentive and active listening skills; take a sales/marketing approach to interaction with youth clients and volunteers; are results/outcome oriented; are approachable, organized; and demonstrate sound judgment in a leadership capacity. Our best employees 1) set the bar high 2) are intentional and thoughtful about their choices 3) collaborate as a means to community solutions 4) are positive, can-do, and solution-oriented 5) embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion, and 6) are accountable and get it done.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing work in an office environment and include the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job: the ability to work independently; remain sedentary for extended periods of time (6+ hours per day); push, pull, bend kneel, as needed for normal operations. Ability to lift a 50lb fingerprinting machine and transport in a personal vehicle to partner sites is required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted online at: http://bbbsi.gatherdocs.com/.
Note: only those applicants believed to be viable candidates for this opportunity will be contacted. No phone calls please.
WHO SHOULD APPLY
People with a passion for engaging individuals to support youth in their community and a desire to work for a strong mission driven organization should apply. At BBBSI, we serve more than 2,100 children annually in Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties in Pennsylvania, and Burlington, Camden and Gloucester Counties in New Jersey.
Our aspiration is to develop an organization that reflects our constituent base. BBBSI promotes a culture of inclusion and seeks talented staff from diverse backgrounds. BBBSI is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status, first and second-generation immigrants, and people from low-income families, or any legally protected factor.
** This position is currently remote. Staff will be given two (2) weeks advance notice before returning to the office.