Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence Region
Position: School Based Enrollment Specialist (FT)
Location: Center City
JOIN A FORWARD-THINKING AGENCY THAT SEEKS TO ENSURE THAT ALL YOUTH ACHIEVE THEIR FULL POTENTIAL. Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence (BBBSI) is the largest BBBS agency in the state and fourth largest in the nation. Our mission is to create and support one-to-one mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth, while working collaboratively with corporations, government and community partners to strengthen the quality of the mentoring field and close the mentoring gap.
Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence (BBBSI), seeks a School Based Enrollment Specialist, tasked with recruiting potential volunteer mentors (“Big”) and conducting “Big” interviews and assessments that will allow the School Based Team to make strong and healthy matches that produce positive program outcomes. This full-time position requires regional travel within the agency’s seven-county service area in Southeastern PA and Southern NJ, and some evening/weekend work with the majority of time spent during traditional work hours.
Partnership Development & Support
- Manages college and corporate volunteer partnerships to achieve recruitment goals alongside School-based Program Coordinators (case managers) and the Advancement team. Maintains ongoing relationships with university and corporate liaisons and college boards to ensure consistent communication and positive relationships on behalf of the agency, with a focus on program needs as well as fund development needs.
Volunteer Recruitment & Orientations
- Recruits college and corporate volunteers by collaborating with corporate and college partners. Presents group volunteer information sessions, tables, and utilizes marketing campaigns to achieve recruitment goals.
- Uses proactive and creative problem-solving techniques to navigate and resolve difficult situations and to recruit volunteers from a variety of backgrounds to best support youth in achieving their full potential.
Interviewing & Assessments
- Conducts volunteer interviews, writes assessments, and works with the team to complete each step of the enrollment process. Volunteer orientations and interviews are often conducted at the college campuses and corporations of BBBSI partners.
- Continually develops skills and knowledge through Agency provided trainings and shares information with volunteers to ensure they have all the information they need to be successful.
Intake Process Management
- Maintains accurate volunteer records in an online database.
- Fingerprints potential volunteers for FBI clearances
- Reviews enrollment information and assessments, always maintaining accurate records. Makes recommendations for each prospective volunteer’s participation in program based on all data, and effectively align volunteer interests and qualifications with service options of Agency.
- Collaborates with other service delivery staff to ensure a smooth transition among functions.
- Applies child safety and risk management knowledge, policies and procedures to all aspects of job.
Academic/Professional Requirements: Bachelor’s degree (or minimum 10 years relevant experience) required per national Agency requirements. Must have a valid driver's license and consistent access to a car for the purpose of recruitment and interviewing. Experience in human services, with youth service organizations and socioeconomically diverse populations is preferred. Spanish-speaking skills are a plus. Must possess the ability to effectively utilize BBBSI’s internal database systems for tracking and recording information.
Personal Attributes: Must demonstrate leadership, dedication, and an interpersonal savvy that helps establish effective relationships and an appropriate rapport with people; have attentive and active listening skills; take a sales/marketing approach to interaction with youth clients and volunteers; are results/outcome oriented; are approachable, organized; and demonstrate sound judgment in a leadership capacity. Our best employees 1) set the bar high 2) are intentional and thoughtful about their choices 3) collaborate as a means to community solutions 4) are positive, can-do, and solution-oriented 5) embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion, and 6) are accountable and get it done.
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted online at: http://bbbsi.gatherdocs.com/.
WHO SHOULD APPLY
At BBBSI, we serve more than 3,100 children annually in Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties in Pennsylvania, and Burlington, Camden and Gloucester Counties in New Jersey. Our aspiration is to develop an organization that reflects our constituent base. BBBSI promotes a culture of inclusion and seeks talented staff from diverse backgrounds. BBBSI is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status, first and second-generation immigrants, and people from low-income families, or any legally protected factor.